Sunday, January 06, 2008

BPA in bottles and sippy cups

Just wanted to post these links to mom's who are concerned about what goes into their children. I had heard about this last year when I was nursing Abigail and dismissed it because she never took a bottle and figured it didn't pertain to us. Now that Elizabeth takes to a bottle of breastmilk just nicely and after reading other blogs about this subject I started to research it myself. WOW. I had no clue how horrible the BPA toxins are in baby bottles and sippy cups. There is so much information on the internet about this subject that you may feel free to do the research yourself. But here is a link I found that explains about the dangers of BPA and reviews of BPA Free sippy cups and bottles. Of course the sippy cups are harder to find and more expensive but bottles are a lot easier to obtain. I am going tomorrow to pick up a few old fashioned glass bottles for Elizabeth. She only takes a bottle when we are out which is about twice a month so I am not too concerned about glass breaking and her holding a bottle herself. There are also plastic bottles that are made of polypropolene instead of BPA which are a much safer alternativebut you do have to do the research on them.

Anyways, if you are interested here is the link. http://safemama.com/tag/sippy-cups/

Scroll all the way down to read more information on the BPA issue and details and links to other websites that are helpful.

Here is another link ( an adobe file) that I found helpful explaining the different types of plastics and what chemicals are in them:

http://www.healthobservatory.org/library.cfm?refid=77083


Anyways, there are a ton of scary things out there that our children are exposed to on a daily basis, and of course it is impossible to protect them from everything. You could start researching and find so many things that are harmful and can become obsessive about it. For me, I trust that God has his hand of protection over all of my blessings, but as a mother I have a responsibility on how I care for my children and the ability to do the research for myself. If there are simple things I can do to prevent exposure and help them be healthier (ie; switching to a different bottle or cup, homemade baby food etc...) then I try my best to do that for them. Happy Reading! ;)
Sarah

No comments: